How to set up multi factor authentication
How to Setup Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) in Aristotle
What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
Multi-factor verification helps you to access your accounts more securely. As passwords can be stolen or compromised, multi-factor verification adds additional layers of verification that help protect your accounts by making it harder for other people to login to your accounts. Based on research by Microsoft, it reduces your risk of account compromise by over 99.9%.
Aristotle MDR currently only supports authentication via a time-based code generated by an authentication app on a user’s phone. This is a 6-digit numeric code that changes every 30 seconds. To learn more about authentication apps, follow this link from the Australian Cyber Security Centre.
How to Setup MFA
1. Go to your user profile, from either the Dashboard side panel or the dropdown from the header bar.
2. On the action tab of your profile, click on the ‘Multi-factor authentication’ link of the Action tab.
3. If you don’t have multi factor authentication enabled, your Multi-factor Authentication Settings page will look like this:
4. Start the ‘Enable two-factor authentication’ wizard .
5. Use your authentication device to generate a token by scanning the QR Code.
6. Enter the token generated by your authenticator application and select 'Next'. Below is an example token.
7. Click on the ‘Back to Account Security’ button to confirm that multi-factor has been enabled.
Make sure you also generate recovery codes once you have setup your device. If you lose access to your device, recovery codes will allow you to access your account. To access your recovery codes, click on the ‘Show Codes’ button. Make sure you keep these codes in a safe location.
How to Change a MFA Device
If you want to swap your MFA device, you must first disable your current MFA authentication, before adding a new device.
1. Go to your profile, and click on 'Multi-factor authentication’ to go to your two-factor security page.
2. Click on 'Disable Multi-Factor Authentication'.
3. Disable multi-factor authentication by confirming that you want to disable.
4. Follow the "How to setup MFA in Aristotle" tutorial above to setup multi-factor authentication again with your new device
What happens if I lose my MFA device?
If you lose your device, and have access to your recovery codes, simply enter a recovery code during the second factor of the login.
1. Click on the 'Use Backup Token' button and enter your backup token there.
If you lose your MFA device and you don’t have access to your backup codes, you need to get in contact with an Administrator for your registry, who can disable your multi-factor authentication.
How to disable MFA for another user in Aristotle
In order to disable MFA for another user, you must be a registry Administrator.
1. From the Dashboard side panel select 'Administrator Tools'.
2. Select 'Manage Users' under the Manage Registry heading.
3. Find the user that you are trying to disable in the table, here we are going to disable the MFA for Lauren.
4. Click on the user’s name to go to their profile. Here, we can see from their profile that multi-factor authentication is enabled.
5. Click on the ‘Multi-factor authentication’ link in the Actions tab.
6. Confirm that you want to disable two-factor authentication for that user.
Managing your account
Managing your Account Your Profile is where you can go to manage your account. To get to your profile select 'My Profile' from your Dashboard side panel or from the dropdown in the Header bar. From your Profile page you can - Edit your personal ...
Validation Rules About Validation Rules Validation Rules allow Registration Authority managers to set business rules for metadata within their Registration Authority. Registry administrators to set registry-wide rules for content. Validation Rules ...
How to record data lineage
How to Record Data Lineage In a Dataset 1. Go to the "Create Metadata" page and select to create a Data Set. 2. Give the Dataset a name and optional definition, and select the button. 3. In this step you will have to give the dataset a definition ...
Creating and maintaining a stewardship organisation
Creating and Maintaining a Stewardship Organisation How to create a Stewardship Organisation You have to be an Administrator to add a new Stewardship Organisation 1. Go to “Administrator Tools” at the bottom of the Dashboard side menu 2. Select ...
Collection publication and permissions
How to publish a Collection and set permissions How to edit, change and update permissions and publication details of a Collection. Publication 1. From the Collections Homepage, select the "Actions" button dropdown. 2. Select 'Publication details' ...
Aristotle Metadata Community
The Aristotle Metadata Community is a place where professionals dealing with data and metadata management from government, academia and the private sector can share their metadata knowledge.
Check out the Aristotle Metadata Community today!